At thebabybox.com we are passionate about child safety and health. The simple, effective design of the box coupled with its firm mattress helps promote safe sleeping.
There has been a recent report in the media questioning the benefits of Finnish Baby Boxes and there has been a suggestion that these types of cribs do not conform to British and European Safety Standards.
While we can’t speak for all Baby Box providers and manufacturers, rest assured every one of our products undergoes rigorous independent safety testing. The Baby Box from thebabybox.com conforms to BS EN 1130, the International Gold Standard for Crib & Cradle Safety. Our mattresses conform to BS EN 1877 for Safety and BS EN 7177 for flammability. Please find more information on our Safety Standards by clicking here.
When your baby is sleeping…
- Always place your baby on his or her back to sleep, for naps and at night.
- Use a firm sleep surface, such as a mattress in a safety-approved box or crib, covered by a fitted sheet.
- For newborns, keep soft objects such as toys, crib bumpers and loose bedding out of your baby’s sleep area.
- Give your baby a dry soother that is not attached to a string for naps and at night.
- Do not let your baby get too hot during sleep.
- Keep the baby’s sleep area (basket, box or crib) in the same room where you sleep for the first 6 months.
Before the baby is born…
- Look after yourself too: Get regular health care during pregnancy and do not drink alcohol, or use illegal drugs during pregnancy or after the baby is born.
- When pregnant and after the baby is born, do not smoke. And – where possible – do not allow smoking around your bump or your baby.
- If possible, breastfeed your baby, but it is advisable to research bottle-feeding too before the baby is born.
- Follow health care provider guidance on your baby’s vaccines and regular health checkups.
- Give your baby plenty of Tummy Time when he or she is awake and when someone is watching